četrtek, 13. avgust 2015

Summer Tan Part 2: Self-Tanners (Tanworx, St. Tropez & St. Moriz)

Two months ago I wrote a post about gradual self-tanners and as promised, today I'll continue the Summer Tan series with instant self-tanners. My skin easily burns, but also develops some tan, depending on the amount of time I spend outside in the sun, but lately I've been opting for self-tanners instead. I go through phases where I couldn't care less about tanned skin, or I either don't want to show my skin, unless it has some color to it. Hopefully this post can show some insight into self-tanning and which products are best for achieving a natural-looking bronzed skin tone without the damaging effects of the sun.
First up is the St. Tropez Self-Tan Bronzing Mousse. I slightly prefer mousse formulas when it comes to self-tanners, and this is a no-brainer winner of the three products mentioned in this post. The consistency is a lightweight mousse, that sinks into the skin quickly and dries fast. It applies evenly and lasts up to 5 days on my skin. It was never streaky when I applied it, but you need to take some care when you're applying it. It leaves a quite dark guard color, that washes off into a very natural looking tan without a hint of orange. It definitely contains a self-tanner scent, but once you wash it off in the morning/after 6-8 hours it's not noticeable anymore. The tan fades away evenly, even when I layer it, if I want to have a really dark tan (go big or go home, right?). This product is on the pricey side, but the end result makes it justifiable. It comes in two shades: regular/medium and dark.
Tanworx by Monu Skin Care Self-Tanning Lotion is a runner up to the St. Tropez mousse. Despite the lotion texture it applies evenly, without being sticky and only has a faint self-tanner scent. The result is quite similar to what I get from St. Tropez, but the color is not as intense and lasts 3-4 days.  It applies quite dark but washes off into a natural bronzed tan. Applying lotion is more bothersome because you have to be more careful to blend everything for a streak-free application. I never noticed any stains on my bed sheets or any clothing from it, but make sure to always wait a couple of minutes before getting dressed/going to bed.
The cheapest of the three is the St. Moriz Instant Self-Tanning Mousse in Medium. I distinctly remember the first time I used it. It applied beautifully, dried quickly, had a fresh-soapy scent and was the perfect shade - medium dark, but still natural looking. Not an hour later the strong self-tanner scent kicked in, but that didn't bother me as much as washing it off the next morning only to find that most of the tanner washed off and I was left with a very lightly bronzed skin and the self-tanner smell just wouldn't go away, even after two days. I tried layering it, but that only resulted in it settling into pores are wearing off very unevenly - for example the fold on the opposite side of my elbow (does that part of the arm even have a name?) would wear off and I would be left with this weird almost white patch surrounded by multiple shades darker skin. Also every next time I would shower the tanner would just wash off and by the third day it was pretty much gone from my skin. I also noticed some stains on my clothing when I used this. I do really like the tanning mitt from this brand though (Using a mitt/gloves is crucial if you don't want to end up with stained hands).
When it comes to self tanner my advice is to rather spend a little more, just to be safe. Various sites like FeelUnique often have different promotions or free gifts with purchase (currently a Prep & Maintain Kit with St. Tropez products) which I think is the best time to try any of the mentioned products.
And it goes without saying that you still need to use SPF protection with these products, to prevent burning and pre-mature aging of the skin.
If you have any recommendations for self-tanners from other brands let me know below.

2 komentarja:

  1. Se popolnoma strinjam s tabo - pri takih stvareh se splača dati malo več :) Moja najljubša sta St. Tropez Mousse in pa Xen-Tan Dark lotion, s tem da mi je slednji morda malo ljubši, ker je barva po enem nanosu temnejša in pa zdrži kakšen dan ali dva dlje :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Za Xen-Tan Dark lotion sem ravno zadnjič brala ocene in ga bom verjetno preizkusila, ko porabim katerega od teh :)

      Izbriši