četrtek, 11. junij 2015

The Balm Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow Palette Review & Swatches


I've already mentioned this palette twice (here & here) so it's about time it gets it's own review. I've been getting into The Balm recently and really like the quality of everything I've tried so far. They also have quirky and vintage packaging that I really like.

The Balm's Meet Matt(e) Nude Eyeshadow Palette contains 9 matte eyeshadows, with 25,5 grams of product. The pans inside are large and contain about 2,8 grams of product each. It comes with a huge mirror that opens up vertically and is housed in sturdy cardboard packaging with magnet closing. The eyeshadows included are cool and warm toned (There was another The Balm's matte palette released in the past that was a lot smaller so this is the second version, but it still comes under the same name). I'm unsure if I would take this travelling since it's not the smallest palette I own, but it is pretty thin.
This palette has been my go to product for different eye looks in the past two months. I find that it is a great everyday palette and has a great range of shades to choose from. All the shades are well pigmented and don't need a lot of building on the eyes. They can be a bit powdery, but I just tap the brush before taking it to my eyes and I don't get any fall out. The eyeshadows can be used dry or wet, but from my experience they work great dry, so I haven't even used them wet yet. They also have a good lasting power, without a primer I get about 5 hours of wear, before I notice some creasing, with primer I get between 9-10 hours, without creasing or losing color intensity.
See swatches below (applied without a base):
Matt Johnson: Dark blue
Matt Garcia: Warm toned medium reddish-brown
Matt Malloy: White (super pigmented)
Matt Rosen: Warm toned medium/dark brown
Matt Wood: A warm chocolate/dark brown
Matt Singh: Warm peachy pink
Matt Abdul: Cool toned purple grey
Matt Lombardi: Yellow/Sand
Matt Hung: Purple taupe

My most reached shade is the peachy Matt Singh shade. For an everyday look I like to layer the Matt Malloy white shade all over the lid up to the brow bone to make all other shades more intense, add Matt Garcia in the crease and outer corner and then blend and soften the edges with Matt Singh. Another alternative includes applying Matt Lombardi on the lid and then working in the crease and outer corner with Matt Garcia and Matt Wood (in general I prefer wearing warm shadows on my eyes). To highlight I usually add a tiny bit more of the Matt Malloy to the brow bone and inner corner or use the Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter instead.

Size comparison with Urban Decay's Naked Basics Palette - Meet Matte is about twice the size, but is a bit thinner.
This palette is not a must have if you're not into matte shades, but I find it super useful and think it was a great addition to my collection. It does feature some 'unusual' shades for a nude palette, but they are muted so they fit in with the theme. The eyeshadow quality of this palette is up there with Urban Decay; they are smooth, buttery and easy to apply. Most people would probably complain that it doesn't come with a black shade, but I think almost every other palette has one + I don't really use those, since it can look a bit too harsh on my complexion.

You can get this palette from FeelUnique and Kohls (USA).

2 komentarja:

  1. Me je presenetilo, da je tako velika. Všeč mi je, da je mat, ampak bi si želea notri barve bolj podobne Naked Basics. Bi pa bila za ponucat :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Res ni najbolj kompaktna, je pa precej tanka, tako da je vseeno 'travel friendly'. Senčke notri so super in sem jo morala prav pospraviti, da uporabljam še katero drugo paletko ne samo te :D (Matt Singh ima že precej konkretno vdolbino)

      Izbriši